Light enters through a narrow slit and is then diffracted by a thin film of diffraction grating material. This produces a linear spectrum image with a generally larger view of the red part than a prism spectroscope.
- The spectroscope is a small and handy instrument that can be very quick to use
- It may be used to test transparent gem materials including rough and broken pieces, fashioned pieces, strings of beads, gems set in jewellery, ornaments and carvings
- The spectrum of visible light, from red to violet can be viewed by observing pure white light through a spectroscope
- Some gem materials modify this white light in a way which can aid identification
- Size length 55mm
- Diameter of body 13mm
- Diameter of lens 5mm
- Finish stainless steel body.
- Top & bottom black plastic viewers
- Weight 14g